Sunday, April 21, 2013

PR'd Baby!!!

This winter has been really tough physically for me. I have been adjusting to taking Enbrel for my Psoratic Arthritis and while doing so I have been trying my hardest to stay well.
Right after Thanksgiving I pulled my right trapezius muscle. Rendering my workout impossible for weeks on end. I was in physical therapy 3 days a week and miserable. When I first went back to the gym my PT thought I could start with walking (No lifting, no circuit and absolutely no elliptical) for the first week. I hopped on the treadmill. walking along like a slug. It took everything I could to restrain myself. 2 days walking and I was told I could speed it up a little. I did and I ended up doing traction for the next 3 weeks.

ARGHH!!!

I started back the first of February, slowly again. Walking, check! Jogging, check! Added in the weights check! Awesome. I was back in action. Until... a little cold or so I thought. Crap and then I learned the downfall of being on a biologic medication. 2 weeks later, that cold is still around and I have an upper respiratory infection. No gym, no weights, no running, no walking. If I don't get better I am going to end up in the hospital. Dang it all anyway.
February is blown and March comes along I start to feel better and begin exercising again as my strength allows. April comes and I am working it. I have had a little cold so I skipped my Enbrel for a week to try to kick it out. Although then my arthritis kicks up like crazy, so it's a catch 22. Illness versus arthritis pain. Eventually I will figure it out.
Now for the news you came for. Last summer I made the goal that I wanted to get my 5K time down under 50 minutes. Almost every morning I try to get in at least 3 miles. On Wednesday I ran it at....  

47:48!!!

Next goal is 45 minutes. Keep your fingers...and toes crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment